Sunday, April 12, 2015

no-heat mermaid waves

I think I love the rain, because I am a mermaid who lives too far from the ocean.
As a girl who has longed to be a mermaid her whole life, this hair tutorial has been a life saver. For the majority of my life I have thought perfectly messed up, beachy hair was impossible to get without living in a quaint ocean town. If you're like me, then fear not! I have a simple, no-heat, overnight hairstyle that will diminish your mermaid hair envy.

1. I recommend starting with damp hair. Normally after I shower I will let my hair air dry for around 20 minutes, then begin the braiding process. If you are doing this on dry hair, go ahead and just spray it with water to dampen it.

2. Start braiding! I have tried countless types of braids, but this double french braid into a single braid has had the best results on my hair. Here is the step by step to completing this braid.

  • Split your hair into 2 sections following your natural part.
  • French braid each side until you reach the back of your neck.
  • Take the rest of your hair and make a single braid.
  • Tie off with an elastic. I recommend using a creaseless elastic so you aren't left with any un-wanted lines.

3. Leave the braid in for a few hours or just sleep in it.

4. Take out the braid, look in the mirror and stare in wonder at the mermaid in front of you. I always run my fingers through my hair and shake out the waves so they look more natural.

5. If you want, you can add some coconut oil on the ends for some natural shine and a smooth finish and some hairspray if your hair has trouble holding curls.

If you have any questions or tips leave them in the comments! Ciao for now.

Hannah xx

12 comments:

  1. This is such a good step by step account! Love this idea x

    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me, and I'm glad you liked it! xx

      Delete
  2. so beautiful! I also wish I was a mermaid (desperately) but my hair does not (and will not) curl without a great deal of coercion... except this one strand that comes out of my bangs... #thinhairprobs
    robineylea.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I wouldn't call my hair thin, I completely understand the whole hair never does what you want it to thing:)

      Delete
  3. Lovely tutorial :) The only problem is that I'm terrible at french braiding my own hair. Another thing I would recommend would be to make sure your hair is all brushed out before so then you don't end up with insane knots at the end. This is such a good technique though, if I can get someone to french braid my hair I'm going to do it!

    Brooke | brookewrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brushing your hair is a must! I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the bottom of my braid just to find a giant rats nest... Next time you're binge watching Netflix or YouTube (we all know we do it) practice french braiding. After a few weeks you should have it down:)

      Delete
  4. youre hair is so gorgeous! I have naturally wavy hair but will definitely try this to get more defined waves. would love if you could check out my fashion blog? :)

    The Fashion Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes! Since your hair is already wavy, don't worry about the hairspray, your hair will do fine without it:)

      Delete
  5. Hey I've nominated you for a liebster Award, check out the details here > http://thatlittlepalegirl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will check it out soon:)

      Delete
  6. I just tried this method last night, works so well! Have never used coconut oil before though! X

    Styling ripped jeans for summer over at-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete